I love stuffing, it’s one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes! My recipe is pretty typical but I like to add sweet Italian sausage, baby bella mushrooms and fresh herbs. A good Italian bread is key to this dish – you can either let it go stale ahead of time or bake it in the oven to dehydrate it, though I find it easier to slice the bread into cubes when it’s fresh. What’s your favorite part of Thanksgiving? Let us know in the comments below!
- 10 cups Italian bread sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Rosemary as needed
- Oregano as needed
- Thyme as needed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- On a baking sheet, scatter the bread evenly and bake until dried out (about 1 hour). Allow to cool. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan, cook the Italian sausage. When sausage is cooked, add the butter and let melt. Next, add the celery, mushrooms, garlic and shallot. Stir and cook until celery and mushrooms are softened. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- When bread is finished, turn up oven to 350 F.
- Pour sausage mixture into a large bowl with the bread and stir to combine. Add herbs, broth and beaten egg and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer stuffing mixture to a large baking dish and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Note: If you like a crispy top, cook under the broiler after baking until golden brown.
- Serve with Thanksgiving dinner!