This is the definition of comfort food! A warm bowl of cheesy, peppery risotto on a cold day really hits the spot. This recipe is so easy and made with common pantry staples. I didn’t use wine or onions to make this simple risotto because they are not found in classic cacio e pepe; I kept this recipe super minimal. Pair this with a Prosecco or a peppery Cabernet Sauvignon to complete the meal! This recipe serves 3-4 people (save the leftovers for arancini)!
- 1 cup arborio or carnaroli rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano, grated
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Melt butter in a saute pan and add the rice. Stir to coat. Then add 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- Cook down stock 1/2 cup at a time and stir until risotto is cooked and has absorbed the liquid (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the pepper and cheeses. Stir to incorporate. Salt to taste.
- Top with more black pepper and serve. Pair with either Prosecco or a peppery Cabernet Sauvignon.