Thumbprint cookies always remind me of my Nonno! They were his favorite cookies, especially with raspberry jam. You can use whatever jam or jelly you like – strawberry, fig, raspberry, orange, lemon and apricot are all delicious! This recipe is very easy and makes two dozen cookies.
- 2 1/4 cup ap flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit jam or jelly of choice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Slowly mix in flour, cornstarch and salt until fully combined.
Note: Scrape down the sides of the bowl. The dough will seem dry but it will come together. Use your hands if necessary. Let the dough firm up in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough out and roll into balls using your hands.
- Place dough balls on greased baking sheets 2 inches apart.
Note: You can also use silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Using your thumb, create an indent in the center of each ball. Optional: Use a fork to carve lines around the edges.
- Spoon jam/jelly into the indents of the cookies.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and serve!