This easy appetizer is made with canned, marinated artichoke hearts and basic breading. It’s a delicious dish to put out for guests during the holidays or as a snack! I love to serve this with tomato sauce for dipping but you could also do a creamy spinach sauce (think spinach artichoke dip). This recipe serves 4 people, adjust accordingly.
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 cups ap flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Dipping sauce of choice
- In a cast-iron skillet or deep frying pan, pour enough vegetable oil in for frying. Heat to medium.
- Meanwhile, assemble your breading station with 3 bowls. Fill one bowl with flour, the second bowl with the beaten eggs and the third with the breadcrumbs mixed with the oregano and red pepper flakes. Set up bowls from left to right: flour, eggs, breadcrumbs.
- Coat each artichoke heart in flour, the dip in the egg wash, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Add breaded artichokes into the fryer oil when it’s hot enough. Do not crowd pan.
- Fry until golden brown and place on a plate covered in a few layers of paper towels to drain.
- Salt immediately out of the fryer.
- Serve with sauce to dip.