Pasta e patate is a warm, comforting dish consisting of pasta and potatoes. It’s easy to whip up and can be made with pantry staples. I like to add a bit of smokey pancetta and top it with lots of fresh grated Parmigiano. Serve this dish with a Primitivo or Sangiovese!
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup pancetta, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, as needed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil as needed
- In a saute pan, cook pancetta until fat renders then add the onion, carrot and potatoes with a little olive oil. Stir so that it doesn’t stick.
- Add tomato puree and garlic, stir.
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook pasta until about 2 minutes before al dente. Pasta should still be firm.
- Meanwhile, while the pasta is cooking, use a measuring cup to scoop out a cup of pasta water and add it to the potatoes. Let it reduce while the pasta cooks.
- Transfer pasta to the potatoes with a cup more of pasta water and stir to combine. Let the water reduce and the pasta finish cooking (al dente). The consistency should be starchy and thick.
- Add salt, pepper and Parmigiano to taste.