This simple 5-ingredient eggnog gelato is a delicious frozen treat for the holidays. Serve it with a shot of rum, brandy or bourbon for a boozy dessert milkshake or with espresso as an affogato! The prep time for this treat only takes 25 minutes but it must be frozen at least 8 hours or overnight. You will need an ice cream machine for this recipe as well.
- 2 quarts eggnog
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 5 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp eggnog flavor
- Heat eggnog in a large sauce pan over medium heat just to scalding (little bubbles form at the edge of the saucepan).
- In a mixing bowl, vigorously whisk egg yolks, sugar and nutmeg until the mixture is thick and the egg yolks turn a lighter shade of yellow.
- Gradually drizzle about 2 cups of the hot eggnog into yolk mixture to temper the yolks.
- Add all of the yolk mixture back into the saucepan of heated eggnog and whisk to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, continuously whisking, approximately 8 minutes until the mixture is very thick.
Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Whisk in the eggnog flavor, then cover and chill overnight.
Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s directions.
Transfer the gelato to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 4 hours.