These festive cannoli cups with candy canes are perfect to put out for the holidays! Remember not to fill the cups until you’re ready to serve otherwise they will get soggy! This recipe makes 30 cannoli cups.
- 30 mini phyllo shells or your favorite mini cannoli shells (I used store-bought)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 and 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring oil
- 1 box chocolate melting candy divided in half
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candy (you can buy it pre-crushed during the holidays)
- 1 pastry bag fitted with a wide tip
- Place the ricotta cheese into a fine-mesh strainer over a deep bowl and place it in the fridge to drain for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.
- After the cheese has drained for the allotted time, in a large bowl combine the drained cheese, confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and peppermint oil. Using a spoon, mix well.
- Carefully scoop the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with the wide tip. (Note: using too small of a tip will result in the chocolate chips getting stuck) Use immediately, or refrigerate until needed; up to 24 hours.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave according to package directions. Taking note not to overheat the chocolate. Chocolate is really easy to burn and once it’s burnt there’s no fixing it. Once melted take one phyllo cup and dip the edges into the chocolate then in the crushed peppermint candy. Set to the side to harden.
- When ready to serve, pipe the filling into the mini cups, filling to the rim. Note: If you do not have a piping bag, use two small spoons to fill the cups. Scoop the filling with one spoon then scrape it off, into the cup, with the other spoon. Repeat until you have filled all the mini cups.
- Sprinkle on a few chocolate chips onto each filled cup. Serve immediately. Note: do not fill the shells until you are ready to eat, otherwise the shell will get soggy.