This delicious dessert is so indulgent and loaded with all of my favorite dessert flavors! Dress it up with pomegranate seeds and edible gold flakes if you’re feeling fancy otherwise, enjoy on its own with a cup of coffee! This recipe by Good Housekeeping makes 8 servings.
For the crust:
- 6 tbsp. hazelnuts
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 6 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
For the caramel:
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut up
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
For the chocolate:
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. hazelnuts, halved
- Flaky sea salt
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Edible gold flakes (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Make crust: Place hazelnuts on small rimmed baking sheet and roast until starting to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to large kitchen towel, bunch into sack, and rub until most of skins have been removed; let cool.
- Lightly butter a 13 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch rectangular removable-bottom tart pan.
- In food processor, pulse hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar to form fine crumbs. Add butter and pulse to combine. Add flour, remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, and salt and pulse to combine.
- Press into bottom and up side of prepared tart pan and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place tart pan on baking sheet. Prick crust all over with fork and bake until light golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make caramel: Place sugar, corn syrup, and 3 tablespoons water in heavy-bottomed medium saucepan.
- Without stirring, cook on medium-high until bubbles start to form at edges, about 1 minute; swirl pan. Bring to a simmer, then increase heat to high and boil, swirling pan often, until mixture is a rich caramel color, about 5 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, add butter and salt, and swirl pan to melt.
- Return pan to medium heat, add cream (it will bubble up), and whisk until smooth, slightly thickened, and a deep amber color, about 1 minute. Pour into cooled tart shell and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
- Make chocolate: Place chocolate in medium bowl. Heat cream in small saucepan until hot but not boiling. Pour over chocolate and let stand 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Pour in even layer over caramel and refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with halved hazelnuts, flaky salt, pomegranate seeds, and gold flakes, if desired.