- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 lb. of your preferred pasta (rigatoni, pipette, or lumaconi, preferably bronze cut)
- 1 finely diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 to 3 tbsp. Calabrian chiles (crushed or chopped, adjust according to your heat preference)
- A pinch of sugar
- 8-9 oz. of tomato paste (feel free to adjust if desired)
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- Another pinch of sugar
- ½ to 1 cup of reserved pasta water
- 1 cup of grated parmigiano reggiano, plus extra for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Begin by cooking your chosen pasta in heavily salted water until it reaches the desired al dente texture.
2. In a generously sized skillet or Dutch oven set over medium heat, drizzle in the EVOO. Sauté the finely diced onion until it turns beautifully translucent.
3. Introduce the Calabrian chili, minced garlic, a pinch of sugar, and a dash of salt into the skillet. Allow this flavorful mix to cook for 2-3 minutes, being mindful not to let the garlic burn.
4. It’s time to incorporate the tomato paste into the mixture. Cook it until it deepens in color, showcasing a rich, deep red hue. This should take roughly 4-5 minutes.
5. Gradually pour in about a ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water and stir thoroughly to combine. Lower the heat to a medium level, then pour in the heavy cream, ensuring a harmonious blend.
6. The butter and grated parmigiano reggiano join the party now. Mix these in, and gradually add more pasta water as needed to reach your desired sauce consistency.
7. The grand finale: Add the cooked pasta directly into the pan. Give everything a gentle yet thorough toss to create an even, indulgent coating.
Serve and savor: Plate up your masterpiece and generously crown it with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano. With this revamped recipe, you’ll be amazed at how effortlessly you can recreate the renowned Carbone Spicy Rigatoni in the comfort of your own home, all without compromising on taste. Unleash your inner chef and relish the culinary adventure!