I love fried eggplant! My mom used to make it for me growing up as a side with basil pesto farfalle. It’s super crispy on the outside and creamy and tender on the inside. This recipe is easy and can be used as a side dish or appetizer; you can serve it so many different ways – on a sandwich, with a dipping sauce like aoili or tomato sauce or as eggplant parm!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick (you can remove seeds if you want)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Sea salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Set up your breading station as shown above. From left to right it should be flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a dutch oven or frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip sliced eggplant in flour and coat completely.
- Next, fully submerge in egg wash.
- Finally, coat the eggplant in breadcrumbs.
- Submerge coated eggplant in hot oil and fry both sides until golden brown.
- Place fried eggplant on a dish covered with a layer of paper towels and salt immediately.
- Serve fried eggplant as you like!
Fried eggplant with pecorino romano and arugula fresh from the garden!