I love sausage and peppers and typically eat them grilled with pasta and red sauce but I was craving creamy polenta and had to make this delicious combination! Instead of grilling and serving the sausage links, I grilled and braised them in chicken stock and red wine. They become incredibly tender and so delicious with the peppers and polenta! This is a great gluten free option for anyone with dietary restrictions as well!
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Splash of red wine
- 1 cup Polenta corn grits
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grill Italian sausage and bell pepper slices until tender. Sausage links do not need to be cooked all the way through, just enough for some good char marks and color.
- In a dutch oven or covered pan, put sausage, peppers, 1/2 cup chicken stock (or enough to cover the bottom of the pan and up to 1/2 inch of the sausages) and splash of wine. Add 1 tsp of salt. Braise in the oven covered for 1 hour.
- Make polenta according to brand instructions (typically a 4:1 ratio of chicken stock or water to polenta). Add butter and Parmigiano and stir until there are no lumps.
- To serve, pour polenta in a bowl and top with sausage and peppers!