- 1 octopus
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Onion powder
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a pot with enough water to be able to fully submerge the octopus and bring it up to a boil with a 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
- Add the octopus to the boiling water as well as the parsley, a tablespoon of garlic salt and about a tablespoon of onion powder.
- Cook the octopus at a rolling boil for 15 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the octopus sit in the water bath covered in the fridge to marinate for atleast 10 hours or overnight. Note: You can save this water bath as a nice stock for other dishes!
- Optional alternative method: Using a sous vide, set to 171 F or 77 C and cook the octopus for 5 hours in a vacuum sealed bag with olive oil, parsley, a smashed garlic clove and 1/2 a chopped onion. Chill in an ice water bath before proceeding with the recipe.
- Remove tentacles from the body (you could grill them at this point as long as they are cooled down in an ice water bath first or serve them boiled). Chop tentacles into bite size pieces using scissors or a knife.
- Add chopped octopus, chopped celery, chopped onion, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste test along the way and season to your liking. Serve and enjoy!