This healthy meal is super tasty and easy to make! You can prepare the salmon any way you like but I chose to bake my salmon because I didn’t thaw it beforehand and it was frozen. The easiest way to cook a frozen salmon fillet is to put the fillet skin side down on an oiled sheet tray, drizzle it with olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper and bake it at 425 F for 20-25 minutes. It’s a very “set it and forget it” method but it comes out perfectly and you really can’t mess it up. Enjoy this meal with a Rosato, Pinot Nero, or Sicilian Chardonnay.
- 5 oz salmon fillet per person
- 1 cup broccolini per person
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1 cup cremini or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil as needed
- 1/2-1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- Red pepper flakes as needed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Begin by cooking your salmon. Note: You can pan sear it, bake it, grill it, sous vide it, olive oil poach it – but whatever you choose, drizzle it with olive oil and season it simply with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring the mushroom broth up to a boil in a pot and add the orzo and chopped mushrooms. Cook until the orzo is al dente and strain, reserving a cup of the broth. Add back the mushrooms with a splash of the broth, the onion powder, garlic powder, parsley and thyme and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Saute the broccolini in a pan with olive oil. Season with the garlic and salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Plate the salmon with the orzo and broccolini. Enjoy with a Sicilian Chardonnay, Rosato or Pinot Nero.