This was one of the first meals my sweetheart and I made together during quarantine. Even if you can’t enjoy dining out right now, you can still prepare a sophisticated meal at home with a few ingredients. We garnished the ravioli with fried garlic, pickled mustard seeds, honey and kale but you could serve this in a sage butter sauce, olive oil and honey or anything you want!
For the ravioli dough:
- 300 g 00 flour
- 3 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of olive oil
For the ravioli filling:
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup grana padano (pecorino or goat cheese would be good too)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. When oven is up to temp, place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Poke several holes in them with a fork and cook for 1 hour until tender.
- During this time, make the ravioli dough. Mix together flour and salt in a bowl and create a well in the center.
- Beat eggs and pour into the well of the flour with splash of olive oil.
- Using a fork or your hands, slowly mix flour into the eggs.
- Combine ingredients until you’ve formed a shaggy dough. Knead for several minutes and form into a ball. It should have some spring to it.
5. Wrap dough in a wet towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
6. When sweet potatoes are finished baking, remove skin and place in a food processor with cheese, garlic, smoked paprika, brown sugar and salt. Add milk slowly while blending until you get the right consistency. It shouldn’t be too wet. Don’t forget to taste test!
7. Ravioli dough should be smooth and ready to roll out. Roll out dough into a sheet that is thin enough to go through the largest setting on your pasta machine.
8. Roll out dough into sheets until it’s about 1/8 inch thick or nearly transparent.
9. Arrange sheets of dough to fill. Using a spoon, scoop out a tablespoon of filling and place on top of dough. Brush a little water around the filling so you get a good seal.
10. Place a sheet of plain dough on top of the dough with the filling on it and press firmly around the filling to seal.
11. You can use a ravioi stamp, a drinking glass, a roller or cookie cutter to make the ravioli. They can be whatever size or shape you want, get creative!
12. Cook ravioli in salted, boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until they float.
13. Serve with whatever garnish you like and enjoy!