In our YouTube series Cookin’ With G, host Giuliana Calascibetta makes her Nonna’s handmade pasta recipe! Handmade fresh pasta is so simple and incredibly rewarding. You’ll need a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment as well as a pasta machine (hand crank, electric or stand mixer attachment) with tagliatelle attachment. The instructions below are the most efficient way to make this pasta!
- 6 cups “00” flour + more for dusting
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 16 oz of water
- Pour flour, semolina, olive oil, salt and eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Using a dough hook attachment, turn mixer on to the lowest speed and mix until combined.
- Slowly add a little water at a time until the dough comes together. You may not need to use all 16 oz.
- Mix until dough is wrapped around the hook and no longer sticking to the bowl (a few minutes).
- Sprinkle counter or work surface with flour and begin kneading dough with your hands.
- After several minutes of kneading, wrap dough in plastic wrap and let rest for 45 minutes (it does not need to be refrigerated; if you do refrigerate you will need to let it come back to room temperature before rolling out).
- Section dough into 4 pieces and roll each out with a rolling pin until it’s thin enough to fit into the largest setting of the pasta machine.
- Once you’ve rolled out dough and it’s about 1/8 inch thick, put sheets through the tagliatelle attachment. Set cut pasta aside on a large floured surface such as a table or tablecloth.
- Let pasta dry overnight.
- Cook dried pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water until al dente.
- Serve with red sauce and basil and enjoy!