This lemon pudding cake recipe has been passed down in my family and is always served at gatherings. The super moist lemon cake sits on top of creamy lemon custard and is incredible served warm with fresh whipped cream or a scoop of gelato. You will love serving this to friends and family (if you don’t eat it all yourself first)! Serves 8-10.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup ap flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place a pan large enough to fit a 9 inch baking dish in and fill it halfway with water in the center rack of your oven.
- Grease a 9 inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and butter.
- In separate bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk half the flour mixture into the egg mixture, followed by half of the milk.
- Once combined, add the other half of the flour mixture followed by the other half of the milk. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour batter into the greased baking dish and place the dish in the pan of water in the oven.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until cake is set (test the center with a knife to be sure).