Rainbow cookies or 7 layer cookies, are an Italian dessert staple! These cookies can seem intimidating to make but they are really fun and so worth it! You will need two days, a lot of mixing bowls, three baking dishes and some room in the fridge for this recipe. To make it easier, you can buy premade jam but if you feel like making this all from scratch, you can make apricot and raspberry jam yourself as well. Open up some wine and get to baking!
- 2 cups ap flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 8 oz almond paste
- Red food coloring (6-8 drops)
- Green food coloring (6-8 drops)
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 apricot jam
- 2 cups chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease three baking dishes (9×13). Set aside. Note: You can use silicone mats or parchment paper as well.
- In a mixing bowl and using a hand or stand mixer, add the almond paste, butter, sugar, and egg yolks and beat until creamy and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into the mixing bowl with the batter.
- Divide the batter into three equal parts. Mix one with red food coloring and another with green food coloring.
- Pour each mixture into the three separate baking dishes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before placing on wire racks to cool completely.
- Place either the red or green layer onto a very large piece of parchment or plastic wrap. Note: This piece must be large enough to wrap all the layers completely. I don’t recommend cutting the paper or plastic wrap until you are finished assembling so that you don’t cut it too short.
- Spread raspberry or apricot jam on top and place the white cake layer on top of that. Note: It doesn’t matter what order you do this in as long as the white cake is in the center.
- Next, spread the other jam, and top it with the other colored cake.
- Transfer the cake to a baking sheet, and wrap the rest with the plastic wrap or parchment.
- Place something large and heavy (book or pot) on top to compress and let it chill overnight in the fridge.
- The next day, melt the chocolate chips and add a 1/4-1/2 inch layer of melted chocolate to a 9×13 baking dish. Smooth out and gently place the cake on top. Top the cake with another layer of melted chocolate and place it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Cut into little rectangles to serve!